Friday, April 2, 2010

Verbal Skills

I tried to get a video of Mav talking. He's started making more sounds than his grunting and creaky door impersonations and I love it! This isn't the best video, but I think you'll get the idea. And just so everyone knows, repeating their noises back to them is helpful for their verbal development. As is acting like an idiot for a camera. Okay I made the last part up, but the other part is true!

We had a tiny scare with him the other day. His umbilical cord still hasn't fallen off (it's supposed to fall off before week 2 and we're headed into week 7 now) so his doctor had us take him in for testing. I don't much like holding my baby down while someone jabs a needle around inside his arm looking for a vein. They were checking to see if his white blood cells were doing what they were supposed to be doing. They called back the next day and I guess they are! Everything's fine, we just have to be patient and wait for the fool thing to fall off by itself. Grandma Julie says that he's hanging onto it because he just want to be a newborn for a little longer. But considering he's already 11 lbs and 23 inches, I'm thinking he's fighting a losing battle! So he's doing fine - perfectly healthy and happy!

2 comments:

Proudfit Family said...

Glad to hear little Mav's doing great. What a cutie - I can't wait to meet him! Try putting rubbung alcohol on the unbilical cord-- it's gross but it dries is out and helps it fall off. Can't wait to see you in a few weeks!

Maddie said...

We've been doing the alcohol for a while, but no luck yet! It's stuck on there good!